Sunday, January 16, 2011

Laughed till I cried...

Do you know everything about your partner? I thought I did until just after Christmas last year...

As I said in a previous post hubby and I have been together for 15 years...a good amount of time to get to know someone, don't you think? :)

Apparently not...lol.

Here's the story:

Noah was given a large bucket of Lego for Christmas and once we got home from Newcastle and unpacked he and I sat down to start building a house. We got bored and moved onto another activity but left the Lego on his bedroom floor to come back to.

Later that day I walked past his room to find Damian sitting in there building what I could only describe as an architecturally designed house!! Lets just say it made my four walls look very very sad...lol. I was amazed at what he had built and he explained that he loved Lego as a kid.

Now stories from Dam's childhood are few and far between so I listened intently to his story.

He had such a love and skill for Lego building that at the age of 6 he made it all the way to a grand final. Most of the other kids who made it were around 12 years old and he was competing against them.

Apparently he just sat there and waved at everyone...didn't build a thing. Now this is where I laughed until I cried. My husband grew up as the youngest of two sons in a family where second place just wasn't tolerated!!! I had this mental picture of my hubby as a young boy sitting in the competition surrounded by Lego with a happy little grin on his face as he waved to all his fans....his Dad, in my mental picture, was standing on the sidelines having an absolute meltdown over Dam's lack of interest in beating the other kids. Picture those parents at weekend sporting events screaming at their kids to kill the opposition!! Got it...yep, that is Dam's dad!!!

You have to know him to understand why I found this so funny but I could not stop laughing.

The house that he built sat in Noah's room until about 2 days ago we we decided to build something different and every time I looked at it I would start all over again.

So, of course, I had to scrap it....

This is for the months sketch at Scrap with V...go on over and join in.



Thanks for stopping by...

9 comments:

Jasmine S said...

That is a great story. Love this page. I am about to do a lego page for my DS so you have given me a few ideas here. Great pics and it shows, we are never too old for lego, even a past lego champ.

Cathy said...

What a fab story Natalie!! Love your choice of pp's for your Lego LO.. fantastic!! :) hugs

ahappyscramper said...

What a great story Natalie and a good one to have recorded in your albums. The papers/elements work perfectly for the theme.

sophie said...

so fun!! and the layout you made is awesome!! love it!! this big punch is fab!!

ann said...

Great story the photos and LO are fantastic.

Belinda said...

That is the best story ever Natalie. Love it!! Fabulous layout and I just love those photos of your husband sitting on the floor looking like a big kid. Can't wait to play along with this sketch!!

Kim said...

tee hee sounds exactluy like my hubby, he has just resurrected "daddy's lego"and he and the boys sit for hours while he builds them cars, rockets, diggers and the like, I think he likes it more than the boys!!! fab fab layout Nat, the colours are gorgeous!

Chantal said...

Funny story!!! My hubby was into Lego in a big way too - that's why he works in the building industry now he reckons! :D

Love your layout - all your work is awesome!

aussiescrapper said...

Oh Nat, thank you for the great smile that is on my face, what a wonderful story and am so glad you scrapped this great memory. Your layout is perfect and how wonderful to see DH reliving some of his own childhood memories....give him a big wave from us lol....Thank you for kindness in my troubled times too. Glad to be back, missed you heaps. Melxx

Related Posts with Thumbnails