Thursday, November 25, 2010

All that sparkles...

I am on a little high atm...and not from getting too carried away with glitter...lol.

I don't write much on here about my personal life...I learnt from previous blog attempts to 'keep it simple' and just use this technology for my papercraft.

So most of you don't know that my son has to wear a patch on his eye atm. It is to strengthen his very weak left eye. It started back in May when we were given a patch that slides over the arm of his glasses and covers one lens. It had a pirate ship on it and for a little while he thought it was pretty cool. The only problem was that even with his glasses on it made it extremely difficult for him to see...that is how bad his left eye is. So during the day I would catch him with his glasses sitting on the end of his nose and looking over the top of them.

At his next appointment it was easy to see that it had not helped his eye and that he would have to wear a permanent patch to see it any improvement could be made. My heart sunk on that day. None of us want our kids to be the ones who stand out, who appear different or even ridiculed. He took it in his stride and we went to purchase the new patches that would stick over his eye.

I am so proud of my little man. He gets a little upset in the mornings when we put it on...especially now that it is getting hot as it gets hot and itchy under that sticky material. But he puts he shoulders back, accepts that it is to help him see better and off he goes about his day. It is weird to see him without it now and so when a lady approached me the other day I was a little confused about what she was saying.

We were leaving the shopping centre on Monday afternoon. Noah was holding my mum's hand as we headed into the car park and I had stopped to argue with Abigail about why she had to hold my hand. The lady walked past us and then stopped, turned around and held out her hand. At first I thought I must have dropped something so I automatically held my hand out. She dropped two one dollar coins into my hand and told me to give them to my son for wearing his patch.

I had a sick feeling in my stomach and I had to bite my tongue before I snapped at her to not pity him. I held the money back out to her and said that I couldn't take her money and she went on to explain that her son also had to wear a patch for eight years and everyday was an absolute nightmare and he rarely wore it. She want to give Noah a reward for being so good about wearing it and a little encouragement to continue to to so. Again I told her that while it was very kind I couldn't take her money. She just smiled, waved and continued on her way.

By the time I caught up with Noah and Mum and told them what had happened my heart was so full of happiness and hope. There are still good and kind people out there. Some days it is hard to remember this as I seem to run into more rude people than not!!

Noah's face lit up like a Christmas tree and he held on tight to that money for the rest of the day until he got home to put it in his money box.

So I still believe and know that by teaching my children to be kind, polite and gracious is the right thing to do because as silly as it sounds I have questioned that a lot. Some days I feel that I am not preparing them for the real world and that they are going to get walked all over ...but that one little act of kindness and thoughtfulness has filled me so much more hope!

Thank you for letting me share!!

Now onto crafty stuff...HO HO HO

Can't you feel it in the air...I love LOVE LOVE this time of year!!!


I love dragging out my glitters at this time of year!! Nothing says Christmas more than sparkly stuff...hehehe.


This is for the current challenge over at Meljens Designs...the holly is a freebie and can be found here.

And how about a LO as well...it's been a while and this a bit of an oldie :)



Thanks for stopping by...and reading my long long long post :)

9 comments:

Susanne Perry said...

That was definitely very sweet Nat, I'm sure I'd have been taken aback at first too. Well done to Noah for doing so well too. PS my kiddies would love a play with your's soon.

aussiescrapper said...

Wow, what a gorgeous feel good story for a Friday arvo Nat, firstly I am so glad your dear little boy is so brave wearing his patch, Nate has a lazy eye and it is deteriorating, so next visit we have to possibly try the same treatment. Please tell Noah this, and wow, how wonderful that the woman was so kind, I often find this overwhelms me too, I hope this approach is going to do the trick for Noah's eye. I will let you know approx Feb for Nate's eye diagnosis. Love to you and yours, Melxx

Jasmine S said...

What a great story. It is so nice to know there are kind people. It's funny how we find it hard to believe or accept it these days as most people are in a hurry or not that kind. A long time ago, that was what community was all about wasn't it????
Now on to your crafty bits, fabbo. The blue and white is stunning and I loooove that butterfly.

Cathy said...

How lovely Nat... it's always uplifting when you hear stories of a small act of kindness!! Absolutely LOVE your card... I have to admit I love glitter on my Christmas cards too. Lovely LO.. great design!! Aqua is one of my fav colours. :)

Kim said...

beautifully written Nat, gave me goose bumps just reading, musthave made you feel so good, SOOOOOOO delightful with your card...Ineed some lessons from you, and that simply stunning layout!!!!

sophie said...

such a touching story! yes there are still some kind people around and there is always hope for us too! gorgeous card and this layout is really pretty: very simple design, but really effective! love the colors and embellishments!

Anita said...

What a lovely story...thanks for sharing it. Love your card and your layout both. And yes, we all need lots of sparkle at Christmas lol!

Angela said...

Big clap for Noah! A lovely story Nat. also your card is simply stunning! Must admit I am loving the digis too ATM xxx

pattiwest said...

That was a very nice act of kindness, indeed. My 21 yo old needed to wear a patch on an eye for a time when he was about 7 yo. All the best to you & family. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails